Social Justice Spotlight: Who is AMMA?
In 2019, Elise Scrivens and Charlotte Voll, who were then in Year 8, wanted to take action to do something for drought-affected farmers. After speaking with their parents and Mr Gabbett, the girls decided to form a social justice group with the aim of witnessing the service and advocacy of St Mary of the Cross MacKillop. And so, the Actioning Mary MacKillop Advocacy group, which is affectionately known as AMMA by our College community, was formed.
Four years later, AMMA, has 17 members, ranging from Year 8 to Year 11. These members are: Elise Scrivens, Charlotte Voll, Charlotte Dobson, Sophie Winter, Hannah Rosenthal, Ava Knihinicki, Sarah Norton, Bella Scrivens, Gabrielle Voll, Henry Cleary, William Cleary, Katherine Preston, Chloe O'Rourke, Erin O'Rourke, Isabelle Pannach, Paige Hahn, Lilly Hayes and Gabrielle Aiken.
Each year, the AMMA group organises a variety of initiatives which touch on the cornerstones of social justice: charity/action, awareness, solidarity and advocacy. These initiatives have included:
- Socktober crazy sock days, soccer games and skills, sausage sizzle and fundraising hampers to raise money for Catholic Mission
- AMMA and Mini Vinnies' Blanket and Jacket Drive
- Farmers in Drought Care Packages
- Vinnies Christmas Gift Appeal
- Various bake sales and sausage sizzles to raise money for charities;
- Baking biscuits and slices for Tony's Community Kitchen and Rosies' patrons.
- Supporting the Mary MacKillop Catholic College Environmental Club (MMCCEC) with Containers for Change; and
- Donations from AMMA's own funds to World's Greatest Shave, and other initiatives within the College.
This year, AMMA has grown significantly in numbers; however, we are always keen to have new members. If your child is in Year 7 to Year 12 and would like to be a part of AMMA, please email me: email@example.com
Alternatively, AMMA meetings are usually every second Thursday (the next one is in Week 3) and are advertised via the student notices each morning.
All are welcome!
Director of Formation and College Culture (Years 7 to 12)